Our Shaw home phone VOIP system died in mid-conversation this evening. Just cut out in mid-call, and all of the phones connected to it had no dial tone. My Shaw business phone on a separate box was fine, as was our Internet connection. So I figured it had to be something with the home phone modem.
I did the unplug-the-power-pull-the-battery routine twice, to no effect. I did a system reset twice, to no effect.
I plugged a phone directly into the box, and got a dial tone. Hmm.
I unplugged all our phones and plugged them all back in again. And just as weirdly as the problem arose, it disappeared.
I’m happy that I “fixed” the problem, but I’m unhappy because I don’t know what it was that fixed the problem.